Everyone deserves a decent place to live.
On Monday, October 3, 2016, Habitat for Humanity will join the United Nations and our partners around the world in observing World Habitat Day. World Habitat Day is set aside to recognize the basic right of all humanity to adequate shelter. Today, 1.6 billion people live in inadequate shelter around the world, and more than 100 million people worldwide are homeless. A decent place to live can remove barriers to opportunity, health and success that might have been part of a family’s life for years, if not generations. Through shelter, we empower.
Lack of access to land is often at the heart of inadequate housing.
To build a shelter and make it a home, a family needs to know they have rights and won’t be evicted. Ensuring access to land — meaning the laws about who owns and has rights to land — is one of the top priorities for Habitat for Humanity. Removing current barriers to access would benefit millions of people around the world. Improvements would include greater gender equality, increased disaster resilience and decreased slum conditions. Improving access to land can increase economic growth, address inequalities and reduce poverty.
We invite you to support our efforts in these ways.
Habitat for Humanity is a global nonprofit housing organization working in more than 1,400 communities across the United States and in more than 70 countries worldwide, from Argentina to Zambia. With your help, we can improve lives and communities — at home and around the globe.
- Pray for shelter.
- Advocate for improved access to land for shelter through the Solid Ground campaign.
- Advocate for making access to land for shelter a top priority in the New Urban Agenda to be announced at Habitat III, the third United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development in Quito, Ecuador, from October 17-20, 2016.
- Make a donation to the work of Morris Habitat for Humanity.
- Organize a team build day.
- Visit the Morris Habitat ReStore to shop, donate or volunteer. Your support helps Morris Habitat accomplish its mission in your community.
- Share your commitment to the need for shelter on your social media network using the hashtag #WorldHabitatDay, and invite your followers and friends to find out more about Habitat and World Habitat Day.